The second of Nokia’s new Windows Phone 8 handsets has arrived rather quietly – and is one with mid-high end feature set and price tag. Compared with the more expensive Nokia Lumia 920 it’s specifications stand up quiet well in many regards.
This new Windows Phone 8 handset is available exclusively from Vodafone NZ. It provides dual carrier 3G capabilities means a maximum theoretical download speed in NZ of 42Mb/s.
The Lumia 820 has a stylish look and like the Lumia 920 has a larger stature than most smart phones. The key area where this handset is lower in specifications is the display. Running a 4.3” QWVGA display (800x480 pixels) rather than the 4.5” HD display of it’s bigger brother.
This handset is extremely responsive and the flexibility of increased storage is a great option which it’s pleasing to see is arriving in many of the newest Windows Phones (as it does with many Android handsets). The Lumia 820 built in a manner which leaves me feeling it will live up to the Nokia name in terms of strength and robustness. Also in the 820 is Qi wireless charging capabilities – an option expected to be available in a broad range of handsets going forward. To enable a separate wireless is needed and currently these are prices around NZ$130.
This is a very nice phone overall and the only reasons it doesn’t get a higher rating is the lower resolution screen and the relatively high price point. For the same price Samsung’s Ativ S will deliver much more storage (32GB) and a massive 4.8” HD display. The Ativ S however has been delayed to market and it’s final deliver date is not yet known.
Specification and features
- Display: 4.3" (800 x 480 pixels)
- Rear Camera: 8mp Camera / 720p HD Video Camera
- Front Camera: yes
- 8GB Storage, 1024MB RAM
- CPU: 1.5GHz Dualcore Snapdragon S4
- Bluetooth 3.0
- Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) – incl Wifi hotspot
- 3.5mm stereo audio jack
- NFC: included
- Wireless charging: Qi Wireless charging back cover included (charger available seperately)
- MicroUSB connector
- SIM size: MicroSIM
- Battery: 1650mAh
- Weight: 160 grams
- Size: 68.5mm x 9.9mm x 123.8mm
- Windows Phone 8 hardware features: A-GPS/Glonass, G-Sensor, Digital Compass, Proximity sensor, Ambient light sensor
- Windows Phone 8 software features: Synchronisation of email/contacts/calendar (Exchange, Office 365, Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, etc), Xbox Music/Video/Podcast Hub, Xbox Live, Internet Explorer 10, Maps app, Facebook Integration, Twitter Integration, Pictures Hub, People Hub, fully upgradable OS.
- Nokia Specific Apps: various
- Keyboard: Onscreen touch keyboard
- Physical Keys: Camera, Power, Volume
- Capacitive Keys: Search, Back, Windows Start key
- Maximum theoretical data download speed: LTE Cat 3 - 100 Mbit/s, HSDPA Cat 24 - 42.2 Mbit/s, EGPRS MSC 12 - 236.8 kbit/s
- Maximum theoretical data upload speed: LTE Cat 3 - 50 Mbit/s, HSUPA Cat 6 - 5.76 Mbit/s
- Data types: HSPA+ (3G), EDGE/EGPRS (2G), FDD-LTE (4G), HSUPA (3G), GSM (2G), HSDPA (3G), WCDMA (3G), DC-HSDPA (3G)
- Data bands: GSM 850, GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900, WCDMA Band V (850), WCDMA Band VIII (900), WCDMA Band IV (1700), WCDMA Band II (1900), WCDMA Band I (2100), LTE 800, LTE 900, LTE 1800, LTE 2100, LTE 2600
Official Networks: Vodafone NZ
Compatible Networks: All NZ mobile networks
NZ List Price: $799 incl GST ($695+gst)
Overall Product/Value Rating (as at January 2012): 4/5